History of Dunlap
The town of Dunlap was officially established on June 12, 1871 on 40 acres of land owned by Alva Dunlap. The town was originally located on the Rock Island Railroad. The site of his former home is now occupied by the Prospect United Methodist Church. The meeting of the first Dunlap Village Council was on January 7, 1952, and the town petitioned for incorporation on February 19, 1952. The current Village Hall was built in 1995.
A post office has been in operation at Dunlap since 1871. Police services are provided by the Peoria County Sheriff’s Office. The Dunlap Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad was established in 1899.
Dunlap Community Unit Schools District #323 is one the finest school districts in Illinois.
- Banner Elementary School (K-5)
- Dunlap Grade School Grades (K-5)
- Dunlap High School Grades (9-12)
- Dunlap Middle School Grades (6-8)
- Dunlap Valley Middle School Grades (6-8)
- Hickory Grove Elementary School Grades (K-5)
- Ridgeview Elementary School Grades (K-5)
- Wilder-Waite Grade School Grades (K-5)
The Dunlap Recreation Association provides baseball, softball, lacrosse and basketball programs for kids in the Dunlap, IL area. DRA is organized by volunteers and is completely funded by fees, donations, concessions and sponsorships.