x

Metamora

History

Settlers from New England arrived in the area in the 1830’s. At the time of their arrival, the area was completely forested. They cleared the area to make farms and created the region’s first roads and structures. They originally named their new home Hanover, but the name was changed to Metamora in 1845, because several other towns in Illinois already had that name. It drew its new name from the main character of a popular play of that time period: The Last of the Wampanoags.

As more settlers were lured to Metamora by its fertile soils, the village rose to prominence in central Illinois. Metamora became the county seat of Woodford county in 1843 and held it until 1896. It was during this period that Abraham Lincoln practiced law in the Woodford circuit. Lincoln served in many trials in the Metamora courthouse. His wit, anecdotes, and country charm drew a large audience to his trials. The courthouse still stands and has been preserved as an Illinois state historic site.

Since the days of Lincoln, Metamora has continued to prosper. It is rich in small, local businesses and has some of the best schools in the state. Farming is still the heart of Metamora’s economy. The village continues to cherish its celebrated past by holding traditional dances, re-enactments, and keeping the doors of their historic sites open.

Schools

Choose Your Adventure!

The Metamora Park District was formed in 1967. Since then, the district has addressed the recreational wants and needs of residents. The district has developed a fine system of parks, the jewel of which is the 450-acre Black Partridge Park. This park features areas of sports fields, playground equipment and pavilion facilities. The trail system through the park provides both an opportunity for recreation and to commune with nature. Smaller parks within the district offer playground equipment and sports fields.

Landmarks